Astoft

East St Helen Street, Abingdon, Oxfordshire
         
East St Helen Street, Abingdon
         
  View from the roof of the old town hall  
         
  Notes in italics from Berkshire by Nikolaus Pevsner (1966)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.
 
         
  Click on photos below to enlarge.
The perambulation is from north to south, i.e. Market Place to St Helen's Church,
the west side in the sun and the east side in the shade.
 
         
                   
         
  From behind the Town Hall, East St Helens runs to the church. It is as a street perhaps the best in Abingdon - also because it is not haunted by traffic as badly as the others.  
         
                   
         
  The King's Head and Bell in the middle picture is mostly 18th century with some evidence of the previous century. However the timber-framed front was remodelled about 1907, see previous appearance on town website.  
         
                   
         
  In first picture, timber-framed and has windows of the so-called Ipswich type which are typical of c.1665-75 and occur often at Abingdon. They are tripartite and straight-topped, but the middle light has an arch below the top.  
         
Twickenham House                   
         
  Twickenham House, built for Joseph Tomkins, mid Georgian, of red brick, five bays, two storeys, with a three-bay pediment. Doorway with Ionic columns and pediment. In the frieze a Kentian head. ... Stables on the l. with a pediment. More on the house at the town website, including the rear.  
         
                   
         
  The cream-coloured house is of the late C15, with overhang and two gables. ... The sides of the dormers have trefoil-headed windows ... (can only barely be glimpsed on the right). More on the town website which gives its date as 1431 and describes it as the most complete surviving medieval house in Abingdon.  
         
Unicorn House                             
         
  Then follows Unicorn House of c.1579, low and long, and originally had gables. The doorway has a segmental pediment on composite pilasters and a frieze running up to a point in the middle - i.e Early Georgian. To its r. are two small Elizabethan or slightly later windows. ...
William III stayed here on his way to London to take the throne with his wife Mary. William and Mary at Wikipedia. More on the house at the town website.
 
         
         
  Rear of the house  
         
              
         
  Opposite side of the road includes an early 19th century house of smooth, honey-coloured Bath stone.  
         
                             
         
  St Ethelwold's House. Early Georgian, of five bays, chequer brick with two gables. The doorway is similar to the previous one. At the back some C15 evidence. More at the town website which dates the long timber-framed range to the rear to 1453-4.  
         
         
         
  The lovely garden by the river's edge.
St Ethelwold's House Website
 
         
St Ethelwold's House                             
         
  Beyond, a row of gabled houses. The street then narrows and has a gabled house across the vista. Overhang on brackets.
Opposite another house with an overhanging upper floor.
This was part of a timber-framed row built around 1500 with changes in subsequent centuries (more on town website).
Its neighbour is dated 1732. Chequer brick, five bays, even brick quoins. The middle bay framed by pilaster strips. Later doorway.
 
         
                   
         
  So on to the steeple of St Helen, which forms the point-de-vue  for the later part of the walk along the street. ...  
         
         
     
  On the final short stretch down to the river past the church, John Tomkins's Malthouse, of chequer brick, dated 1748. The stone building below it is in fact identified as The Malthouse on the town website. This is largely a reconstruction of about 1900. A two-light Perpendicular window above the door is retained whilst all the other windows are modern.   
         
  Map

More Buildings of Abingdon
 
         
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size originals (3-6 megapixels)  are available for approved purposes.