Astoft

Other Buildings in Abingdon, Oxfordshire
         
The Broad Face
         
  Bridge Street with The Broad Face pub on the corner of Thames Street  
         
  Notes in italics from Berkshire by Nikolaus Pevsner (1966)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.

Click on photos below to enlarge
 
         
                    Abbet Close, Abingdon
 
Abbey Close
 
  The first house is early 18th century but with modern leaded casement windows suggesting 17th century. Chequered brick on a rubble plinth. Semi-circular hood on carved console brackets over the door.
The second building is mainly mid-18th century but with some early 19th century fenestration, and there are parts dated 1640. Rough rendered.
The third house shown has a date stone 1698. Most windows with segmental arches, one shallow canted bay. Ground floor painted brick, upper storeys rough-rendered. In the background remains of Abingdon Abbey.
 
         
The Knowl                             
         
  THE KNOWL on Stert Street. A charming timber-framed house with an oversailing upper floor and pargetting to the side, but an early C18 front of five bays and a doorway with Roman Doric pilasters, decorated metopes, and a segmental pediment.  
         
              
       
  The High Street going west from Market Place finishes at The Square. Here Bath Street with the old gabled houses runs north.   
         
              
         
  OCK STREET, the continuation of the High Street. On the r. a deep Doric porch. ... (No information available on the classical stone feature at the end of the house. One suspects that it has been moved from some other location)
Further along on the other side: The grandest Abingdon house, built probably for one of the Tomkins family. Early Georgian, nine bays, three full storeys, panelled parapet. Straight-headed windows. Windows one, four, six, nine are narrower. Paired doorways (later?). Good interior features. To the l. stables ...
The Tomkins family built the Tomkins Almshouses further along Ock Street in 1733, see Almshouses in Abingdon, bottom of that page.
 
         
Baptist Church, Ock Street, Abingdon                    Previous Congregational Church, The Square, Abingdon         
         
  BAPTIST CHURCH, Ock Street, 1841, still purely classical, with attached portico of Tuscan columns, carrying a pediment. Then CONGREGATIONAL, The Square, 1862 by J.S. Dodd, classical going Italian, with giant pilasters and a pediment, just a little less disciplined than twenty years before. This is now an Italian restaurant.  
         
Abingdon School
         
                   
         
  ABINGDON SCHOOL, Park Road. The oldest part is the W part (on the left): 1869-70 by Edwin Dolby: brick, high, clumsy, and Gothic. The range to the E of this is lighter in brick and style: 1879-80. The Chapel is of 1902, by West.  
         
Christ Church, Northcourt Road, Abingdon                   
         
  CHRIST CHURCH, North Court Road. Converted by W. Emil Godfrey in 1961 from the barn of Northcourt Farm, a tithe barn of Abingdon Abbey. The transept now has a glazed end wall, and there is an identical window opposite. the barn itself is of stone and attributed to the C13.  The roof has tie-beams and queen-posts, probably C15 or C16 (not shown).  
         
         
         
  The church stands behind another barn fronting the road. This is about 400 years old and was acquired by the church and opened in 2013 with a coffee shop on the left and and a space for community facilities on the right.  
         
  Map

More Buildings of Abingdon
 
         
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size originals (3-6 megapixels)  are available for approved purposes.