Astoft

 

Bishops Waltham,  Hampshire  -  St Peter's Church
13th century

Click photos to enlarge.
Notes in italics from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight by Nikolaus Pevsner and David Lloyd (1967)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.



Dscn7767-transf-crop-u2-h405-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (63348 bytes)       Dscn7749-transf-varlt-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (68856 bytes)       Dscn7747-crop-clon-varlt-u20h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (64849 bytes)       Dscn7752-transf-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (70677 bytes)

A minster is recorded at Waltham in early Saxon times. Nothing visible in the present structure is earlier than c.1200 ...  Many alterations from the C15 to the C17; heavy restorations in the C19 ... The chancel is in the main C15, with three-light E window and two-light side windows. The church is most interesting for its post-Reformation alterations, the SW tower rebuilt in 1584-9, the N aisle in 1637, and the S aisle in 1652. All are in Gothic Survival, the aisle side windows square-headed and cusped and the E windows of the aisles straightforward Perp with upper tracery. ... the tower is low and quite massive, with square-headed Tudor-type windows. From the stairway rises a tall and prominent rounded turret, decorated with quatrefoils and large crosses; it is of C17 origin but must have been altered since. The W end of the nave was rebuilt in 1849. The external texture of the church is varied; much of the old walling is in flint, but most of that of the C17 is in ashlar, except at the E end of the S aisle, where there is chequered stone and flint work. 



Dscn7754-transf-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (61624 bytes) Dscn7753-varlt-rot-u2-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (65442 bytes) Dscn7755-transf-varlt-varc-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (63468 bytes)

The N arcade of c.1200 has slightly double-chamfered arches with round responds, but the piers are C19 renewals. ... The present S arcade is a copy of the N by Sir Thomas Jackson (in 1894-7), whose is also the chancel arch. ... if the proportions of the wide nave represent those of Norman times, it must have been a building of fairly considerable scale.



Dscn7761-transf-crop-varlt-varg-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (58056 bytes)                    Dscn7762-transf-varlt-u2-h405-u0.5-q50.jpg (59963 bytes)

North aisle, east window of the 17th century.
The west gallery in the nave is of 1773.

Dscn7757-transf-crop-u2-h405-u0.5-q50.jpg (74046 bytes)                    Dscn7758-crop-u3-h405-u1t3-q50.jpg (54767 bytes)

Pulpit. A splendid piece, given by Bishop Andrewes in 1626. Panels with strapwork arches under steep little pediments. Elaborate C19 sounding board, matching well.

More about the church at Southern Life

Bishop's Palace in Bishops Waltham

The Town

Map

 
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size originals (3-6 megapixels)  are available for approved purposes.