Robert Burns (1759-1796). Burns Monument, S side of Regent Road. An
amplified version of the Choragic
Monument of Lysicrates by Thomas Hamilton, 1830, differing most obviously from the
Athenian original and from his earlier version at Alloway
(1820) in that its columns surround (in temple style) a cylindrical cella,
ornamented with lyres and carried upwards to form an attic, with wreaths.
The finial also follows its model, but three supporting griffins are
introduced to suit the increased girth below. ...
When Burns arrived in Edinburgh in 1786 he lived in a house, now
demolished, on the east side of Baxter's Close, now Lady Stair's Close, on
the Lawnmarket, Royal Mile. It's also the site of the Writers' Museum, principally devoted to
Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson.
The White Hart Inn is one of many pubs along the north side of the Grassmarket
in Edinburgh. Robert Burns stayed in the inn during his last visit to
Edinburgh in 1791, and it was reputedly here that he parted from his great
MacLehose, whom he immortalised in verse as Clarinda. Her grave is in
the Canongate Kirk cemetery with the
memorial shown above.