Hampshire - Massey's Folly
Click photos to enlarge.
Notes in italics from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight by Nikolaus Pevsner
and David Lloyd (1967)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.
church and the whole village are eclipsed by the village hall and school,
a building very substantial indeed and of fiery red brick and terracotta.
There are for example two different towers, the taller with a
shaped-gable-saddleback-roof. In another place an oversized semicircular
All windows with French basket
arches to each light. The terracotta panels are of the kind one could buy
from catalogues about 1875-80. The building was indeed begun in 1870. It
became known as Massey's Folly; for T.H. Massey, the then rector, designed
it and built it with one labourer and one carpenter. He was busy on it for
thirty years. In the end it had seventeen bedrooms. Massey died in (1919),
having been rector for sixty-two years.