Astoft

 

Adlestrop, Gloucestershire

Click on photos to enlarge
Notes in italics are from Gloucestershire I: The Cotswolds by David Verey and Alan Brooks (1999)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London



P1000513-rot-varlt-u2-720-u0.2-q30.jpg (101957 bytes)         P1000515-rot-u2-720-u0.5-q40.jpg (88914 bytes)         P1000518-transf-vary-u2-h540-u0.3-q50.jpg (83236 bytes)

The bus shelter at Adlestrop contains the last surviving GWR railway seat from the ormer Adlestrop station. On the seat a plaque with Edward Thomas' short poem describing an unscheduled halt by the Oxford-Worcester train on 23 June 1914. He did not alight and never actually knew the charming village, but the halt made an impression which produced an immortal poem.


P1000473-transf-varlt-u2-720-u0.5t5-q30.jpg (85710 bytes)               P1000480-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q20.jpg (91131 bytes)

In the street leading up from the bus shelter and towards the church. 

P1000506-varlt-u2-720-u0.5-q30.jpg (91116 bytes)        P1000504-u2-720-u0.5t5-q20.jpg (87648 bytes)        Dscn3408-rot-crp-u1-720-u0.5t5-q30.jpg (85149 bytes)

Two pictures of Adlestrop House from the churchyard. This was formerly the rectory and was visited by Jane Austen at least three times between 1794 and 1806 when the occupant was Rev. Thomas Leigh, cousin of Jane Austen's mother. She is thought to have drawn inspiration from the village and its surroundings for her novel Mansfield Park. The house, basically of 1670, has been altered at different times, especially in 1824-5 with bay windows and Welsh slate roof. ...
The last picture is Adlestrop Park, owned by the Leigh family from 1553. ... In 1750-4 Sanderson Miller (mason William Hitchcox) built a two-storey block with a bay window on to the S corner of the house. In 1759-63 he expanded this to form the present exquisite SW front, in his most imaginative Gothick style (builders Thomas & Samuel Collett). It is symmetrical with a large central gable and smaller ones either side which have bays with fretted balustrades and crocketed pinnacles. The bays are panelled and decorated, and the windows have architraves with roll mouldings and Gothick glazing. At the corners polygonal ashlar buttresses, crowned like medieval chimneys. ... 


P1000483-transf-varlt-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (73639 bytes)          P1000500-vary-u2-720-u0.5t5-q20.jpg (84243 bytes)          P1000499-transf-u2-720-u0.5t5-q20.jpg (83494 bytes)

St Mary Magdalene. Cruciform, with embattled W tower. ... The tower itself is C14, of three stages, the lowest serving as the porch. 


P1000497-transf-varlt-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (81106 bytes)          P1000484-varlt-vary-u2-720-u0.5-q50.jpg (85826 bytes)          P1000485-crp-varlt-u2-720-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (64695 bytes)

The fine but heavily restored tower arch with foliage capitals and roll mouldings may be early C13.


P1000490-varlt-vary-varr-u2-720-u0.5-q50.jpg (64904 bytes)          P1000487-transf-varlt-u2-720-u0.5-q40.jpg (66859 bytes)          P1000488-varlt-vary-u2-720-u0.5t5-q60.jpg (82114 bytes)

C13 double-chamfered chancel arch. Otherwise the church has been much rebuilt. Alterations in 1758-9 by Sanderson Miller included the building of the S transept  containing the Leigh family pew. The body of the church was rebuilt in 1764-5 by Samuel Collett of Upper Slaughter. Chancel altered again in 1824. Heavily restored in 1860 when new tracery was apparently inserted in all except the S transept E window, which is still Gothick (not shown).


P1000493-rot-u2-720-u0.5-q50.jpg (76411 bytes)

Nave with elaborate C19 kingpost roof trusses on carved corbels, interior walls plastered. ...


Map

Adlestrop Village Website


Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size originals (3-6 megapixels)  are available for approved purposes.