Architecture of the older Houses
Click on photos to enlarge
||In the style
of houses, Broughton is a classic Hampshire village. What is most
eye-catching are the thatched, timbered cottages of the 15th-17th
centuries, and the 18th century houses in painted or plain red brick.
However, a variety of detail from the 15th to the 20th century is
represented, as a result of inevitable changes to buildings through the
In the case of
timbered houses they have often had later
infill with brick, although this is
very often disguised by white paint.
Brick became common during the 17th century, and casement windows
(hinged at the side) were replaced by sash windows (sliding up and down)
towards the end of that century. Casements reappeared in the 19th and
20th centuries. Generally speaking,
casement windows on an old house
indicates an origin earlier than 1700, unless the house is obviously
Victorian or modern. Some of the houses in Broughton have a
the two types of windows, indicating an older building than the 18th
century suggested by the sash windows.
The manner of laying bricks also changed with time. The earliest is
usually English Bond
consisting of alternating rows of stretchers only (long side showing) and headers
only (short side showing). This had largely been superseded in the later
17th century by
Flemish Bond, which alternated headers
and stretchers in every row, reversing these in the row above. Flemish Bond is what is commonly
used in 18th century houses, although
disguised by paint except when looked
Also common in
Sussex Bond, or Flemish Garden-Wall Bond, in which every
course consists of three stretchers between a pair of headers. But this
is often disrupted by more random laying of headers and stretchers.
few houses have
headers, sometimes using so-called
grey than blue). Blue bricks are also sometimes
Flemish for the headers
whilst retaining red for the stretchers, enhancing the effect of the
From Victorian times onwards, Stretcher Bond with no headers has been
Roofs in Broughton are thatch, tile and slate.
The village contains a Methodist Chapel, now a private dwelling, built
in 1910 in Gothic style. The Baptist Chapel was built originally in
1816, but its current appearance dates from major alterations in 1926.
It is in a 17th century Gothic-cum-Classical style reflecting the date
of the start of the Baptist faith in Broughton in1655. The well
house dates from 1926. Broughton did not have mains water until 1959.
Broughton Village Website