The Bishop's House is dated
1684 ... Ashlar-faced, with to the W eleven bays of wooden cross-windows,
each with a curved hood. Hipped roof. Carved modillions. The doorway has a
broken pediment, almost semicircular and on rather rustic Ionic pilasters.
To the E there is a five-bay centre with a one-bay S wing projecting two
bays. This was probably intended to be repeated on the N side, but here
the chapel interfered, and this was in the end left standing. The chapel
stands on Norman foundations, and it is possible that the Norman ground
floor is still in existence; for the chapel was, as was usual for palace
chapels, on the upper floor. This is not so now. The chapel is a large and
lofty room, perp in style, and probably of the C15. Five-light E window,
three-light S windows. ...