Astoft

 

St Pancras Old Church, London


St Pancras Old Church, London


P1050408-levmid-transf-u2-h550-u0.3t3-q20.jpg (91075 bytes)     P1050410-rot-crp-u2-h550-u0.3-q40.jpg (80564 bytes)     P1050414-transf-u2-h550-u0.3-q50.jpg (84877 bytes)     P1050406-varr-varlt-u1-h550-u0.3t5-q10.jpg (70903 bytes)

P1050412-transf-varlt-u2-h550-u0.5t5-q30.jpg (78456 bytes)          P1050417-rotcrop-cln-u1-760-u0.5-q30.jpg (72849 bytes)

Click on smaller photos to enlarge
Notes in italics from London 4: North by Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner (2001), Yale University Press, New Haven and London

Both the dedication to a Roman saint (cf. Canterbury) and the discovery of a C7 altar stone suggest that this was one of the earliest churches to be established in the London area. However, by the Middle Ages the main settlement in the parish had shifted northwards to Kentish Town, and the little building stood alone in its large churchyard until surrounded by expanding London in the early C19. The medieval church consisted of chancel, nave and W tower. Surviving details, much restored, indicate a C12 rebuilding: in the chancel a Norman S doorway with two-way chevron (second picture in upper row), in the nave traces of a Norman N door (visible inside - not shown here). Remains of a C13 lancet in the chancel N wall (not shown here). The church was crudely Normanized in 1848 by Roumieux & Gough, who removed the medieval tower and replaced it with a W extension with W gallery, and a S porch with tower and spire above, truncated later, when the incongruous half-timbering was introduced. ... 
The last picture shows the medieval church in 1800 (a plaque in the churchyard).


An interior view

Major article

In the churchyard, Sir John Soane's tomb



More London Buildings


Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size originals (3-6 megapixels)  are available for approved purposes.