Thursley, Surrey
Childhood home of Edwin Lutyens
Thursley, Surrey
Click on photos to enlarge.
Notes in italics from Surrey by Ian Nairn and Nikolaus Pevsner, Revised by Bridget Cherry (1971),
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.
Lutyens childhood home, Thursley, Surrey              
  Edwin Lutyens, born 1869, was one of the greatest British architects. He grew up in the village of Thursley in Surrey, England, as the 11th of 14 children. The family house, known then as The Cottage, is shown in the top picture and the first on the left, although now larger than in his day.

He designed an enormous range of buildings from vernacular style houses to the Viceroy's Palace in New Delhi, many of which can be found on the Web. In the village itself an early work is the former Village Institute, 1900, second picture in the row above. Last two pictures: The Corner is a row of cottages converted by Lutyens (in 1888-90, when he was only nineteen) into a single house with a big tile-hung wing at the back. Further additions c.1895.

Lutyens buildings on Astoft:  New Place, Munstead WoodCastle Drogo, Knebworth Church, GoddardsShere,

Much more on Lutyens at Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and Lutyens Trust
Thursley Church     St Michael and All Angels, Thursley         
  The Church of St Mary and All Angels  
  Effectively all new , except for the belfry. ... Restoration by Ferrey in 1860 (N aisle) and far more by J.W.Penfold in 1883-6. The style now is hard E.E. (Early English, i.e. style of 1200s), but in fact the original church was largely Saxon,  
  and two tiny windows came to light in 1927 in the N side of the chancel; double-splayed, still with a crude (Norman) red pattern of ashlaring and rosettes in the splays, and with their original mid-wall window-boards still in place.  
Hill Farm, Thursley
  Beside the church is HILL FARM, a rustic symmetrical brick front of c.1700 added to a big older farmhouse. Four-bay centre and shallow wings of two bays apiece.  
Thursley church, interior              
  The chancel arch is probably of c1270. It has no capitals, and springs from the squinched jambs - a queer effect.... North aisle in last picture.  
  A Norman window remains above the N arcade. ... In the late C15 a new central belfry was added and an enormous timber cage was planted in the middle of the nave to support it, an extraordinary thing to do in a small church. It consists of four immense corner posts (tree trunks 2 ft. 6 in. thick), two against the N, two against the S wall of the nave, just clear of it. They support tie-beams in arched braces. Longitudinally (from W to E) they are joined by four-centred arches. The arches carry beams, and on these stand two more strut posts on each side supporting two more tie-beams on arched braces - a construction so elaborate as to be worthy of Essex. ... A nice refinement is that the beams and braces are carefully designed to keep the E views unblocked. The whole construction has an almost Vanbrughian air of overstatement, for what it supports is not a particularly big bell-turret. ...
  FONT. Certainly pre-1100, possibly Saxon. One protean tapered bowl 3ft. high, with a ring-moulding halfway up. No other ornament , except a crude band of chevrons round the top. CHEST. Excellent vernacular; 1622.  
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size originals (3-6 megapixels)  are available for approved purposes.