Astoft

St Mary, Lydiard Tregoze, Wiltshire
         
  Click on photos below to enlarge
Notes in italics from Wiltshire by Nikolaus Pevsner Revised by Bridget Cherry (1975)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London
 
         
St Mary, Lydiard Tregoze
         
  St Mary, Lydiard Tregoze. Immediately behind Lydiard Park. Not a big church, but cram-full of enjoyable furnishings, richer than any other of similar size in the county. Externally Perp throughout, except for the simple Dec S doorway and S aisle E window. ... Embattled S aisle, S chapel, and S porch. Pretty Sanctus-bell turret at the E end of the nave. .     
         
                             
         
  W tower with Somerset tracery in the bell-openings, a parapet with pierced quatrefoils and pinnacles.  
         
                             
         
  South side. Tower, porch and detail of south chapel. The S chapel was remodelled by Sir John St John c.1633. The date appears outside.  
         
                   
         
  The east window of the chapel is of the Decorated period, c.1290 to c.1350. In the chancel E wall a three-light Perp window with two plain round-headed windows l. and r. added after the Reformation, perhaps c.1633.
Last two pictures, north side of church.
 
         
St Mary interior, Lydiard Tregoze                             
         
  Inside, the nave is largely pre-Perp (i.e. pre 1350). The N arcade is C13 (the last bay C15): four bays, piers with four canted projections and no capitals at all. The S arcade is C14, of three bays with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. The nave has a wagon roof, and some of the supporter figures indeed look pre-Perp too. ...
Last picture, looking west.
Painting. Much in various places, mostly defaced. On a N arcade arch C13 ornamental decoration. More in other places in the nave, beneath later work. On the N wall stories of St Thomas Becket. On the N wall of the S aisle St Christopher and a Christ of the Trades.
 
         
                             
         
  On the nave E wall figures and busts round a former rood above the chancel arch. ... The best survival is an exquisite small figure of the risen Christ of c.1400 on the second pier of the S arcade, with much of its original colouring.  
         
                   
         
  Screen. Jacobean, with the Royal Arms. Surprisingly naive. Pulpit  Jacobean. Reredos. Small; C18. Painted with figures of Moses and Aaron. Stained Glass. Remains of C15 glass in nearly all windows, especially demi-figures of angels; also saints and small fragments. - Also in the E window large figures of the types and colours charactersitic of Flemish work in England about 1633. ...  
         
                   
         
  Monuments. Nearly all St Johns, and so many that Aubrey said 'it exceeds all the churches of this countie'. ... -
Nicholas and wife, 1592 (S aisle). The couple kneel side by side, below an arch. Standing monument.

Notice by the monument: 'The oldest of the monuments in the church. It portrays Nicholas and Elizabeth St John, and was placed by their son in 1592. Note the richly painted canopy, and the coat of arms above the monument, which belongs to Walter St John, the first Baronet's elder brother, drowned in 1597.'
 
         
                   
         
  Sir Giles and Lady Mompesson, died 1633. A delightful piece, full of pensive melancholy. The figures are seated in arched niches, in profile, facing one another. He holds a book, she a skull. Beneath the two we read: 'Siste viator non ut figuras Phidiana confectas manu discutias. Defunctorum mores perlege'.  
         
                   
         
  Edward, killed in the Civil War in the year 1645. Standing, gilt figure in armour below a baldacchino held open by two pages. An impressive composition, but alas bad craftsmanship.

Sir John and two wives, recumbent effigies, the wives slightly below him (more photos at  external site). Erected in 1634. All alabaster. ... Kneeling children in the side pieces at head and foot. ...
 
         
         
  Family triptych put up by a Sir John St John in 1615. Painted, with large figures inside, a family tree ('thirty-two ancestors') outside, an unusual memorial, but not unique ... . The heraldic display is carried on into the C18. ... The inside at geograph.org.uk.  
         
  To Lydiard Park  
         
  Map

Church Website
 
         
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size originals (3-6 megapixels)  are available for approved purposes.