Astoft

 

Stourhead, Wiltshire - The Pleasure Grounds
18th century

Click on small photos to enlarge
Notes in italics from Wiltshire by Nikolaus Pevsner Revised by Bridget Cherry (1975)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London



P1020564-u2-720-u0.3-q40.jpg (88567 bytes)     P1060323-varlt-u2-h550-u0.2-q40.jpg (76724 bytes)     P1020598-u2-h555-u0.5-q30.jpg (95899 bytes)     P1060348-u2-h550-u0.3-q50.jpg (86715 bytes)

P1094647-u1-h550-u0.3-q40.jpg (85968 bytes)     P1094635-u2-h550-u0.5-q50.jpg (84962 bytes)

The grounds of Stourhead House were begun in 1744 by Henry Hoare II, twenty years after the house was built by his father.
The church and churchyard have - with unmatched success - been made part of the picturesque composition. The lawn runs up to them and links them to the lake, and the Pantheon faces them challengingly. ... The five-arch-bridge, built in 1762 ...    


P1020576-rot-crop-u1-h555-q20.jpg (82441 bytes)          P1020572-u2-720-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (85837 bytes)          P1020571-u2-720-u0.5-q40.jpg (75741 bytes)

By turning r. one gets to the Temple of flora, built in 1745 by Henry Flitcroft. This has a tetrastyle portico of Tuscan columns with metope frieze and pediment, and inside, one room. ... Below the temple a rocky arch, originally with a statue of a River God, and an Urn ...


P1030369-soft-h552-u0.5-q20.jpg (89926 bytes)

P1020608-varlt-u2-720-u0.5-q40.jpg (73633 bytes)


P1030373-crop-740-u0.5-q40.jpg (75621 bytes)

P1030370-h540-u0.5-q30.jpg (76478 bytes)          P1020601-varlt-u2-720-u0.5t5-q60.jpg (98275 bytes)          P1030374-levlt-h552-u0.5-q50.jpg (63879 bytes)

On the opposite side of the lake the celebrated Grotto, a tripartite structure which was building in 1748. ... In the centre the Sleeping Nymph or Nymph of the Grot, with the appropriate quotation from Pope's translation of Huius nympha loci. Tufa-lined walls, pebble floors. In a separate structure at the end John Cheere's River God of 1751.  Framed views across the lake to the bridge and church.


P1020568-crop-u0.5-q50.jpg (78511 bytes)          P1020588-rot-crop-varlt-varr-u2-740-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (87383 bytes)          P1020590-varlt-varr-u2-720-u0.5-q30.jpg (84119 bytes)

The largest of the buildings, the Pantheon. The Pantheon was under construction in 1753. Its designer was Flitcroft. It has a portico of four Corinthian columns in antis, closed bays to the l. and r. with statues in pedimented niches. These closed bays screen the junction between portico and rotunda more successfully than the original temple in Rome. Through iron gates one enters an anteroom then the rotunda (not shown). ...


P1020593-transf-u2-h555-u0.5-q60.jpg (81924 bytes)               P1020589-transf-u2-h555-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (85415 bytes)               P1020596-transf-levrgb-u2-h555-u0.3t3-q50.jpg (68667 bytes)

The left-hand closed bay, and the sculptures in the two niches.

P1020573-rot-varyr-u2-720-u0.5t3-q10.jpg (73738 bytes)          P1020583-vary-varr-varlt-u2-h555-q50.jpg (71335 bytes)          P1020578-rot-varlt-u2-720-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (69555 bytes)

On the S side of the lake ... the Temple of the Sun higher up, a rotunda, designed by Flicroft after the original at Balbec which had been published by Wood in 1757. The Stourhead temple was completed in 1767.Like its original, it is a rotunda with detached Corinthian columns and an entablature curving vigorously back between each pair. The present domed top is recent. The dome was originally flatter. 


P1020584-transf-crp-levrg-u2-h555-u0.5t5-q50.jpg (68957 bytes)               P1020585-transf-crp-levrgb-varlt-u2-h555-u0.5t5-q60.jpg (85170 bytes)

The statues are copies. The originals are now on the roof of the house and on the terrace outside the Saloon. ...


P1030376-transf-h552-u0.5-q50.jpg (73468 bytes)               P1020616-transf-crp-u1-h540-u0.3t5-q30.jpg (87168 bytes)

On a mound on the lawn W of the church stands the Bristol High Cross, given to Hoare in 1764 ... The cross dates from 1373 and consists of a tall lowest stage with shallow niches (evidently altered), crocketed ogee gables, four detached buttresses, 


P1020612-crop-u2-h555-u0.5t5-q50.jpg (75924 bytes)               P1020614-crop-u2-h555-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (74049 bytes)               P1020617-varlt-u2-h555-u0.5-q60.jpg (57976 bytes)

four standing figures, originally coloured, at the next stage, 

P1020615-crop-u2-h555-u0.3t3-q50.jpg (74201 bytes)               P1020613-crop-u2-h555-u0.3t5-q60.jpg (76410 bytes)               P1020611-rot-crop-h1100-u0.3-q50.jpg (84075 bytes)

then four seated figures added in 1633,
and at the top a square pinnacle.

Stourhead House

Stourhead Church

National Trust  Website for Stourhead
including opening times and visitor information

Map
 

 

Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size originals (3-6 megapixels)  are available for approved purposes.